Tuesday, July 6, 2010

On Budget

Since graduating from Longwood, I've moved out of my parents' house and learned the joy of paying for things such as electricity, cable, and groceries. Back in the day, I had hardly anything to pay for, and my minimum wage job making lattes gave me more than enough to spend on new Steve Maddens, Lucky brand jeans and endless sushi dinners out with my friends. Now, with bills and grad school to pay for, I attempt  to make Asian food at home, and yesterday was the first time I've been shopping in months.

Now, I've never been one to pay top dollar for anything if I didn't absolutely have to, but I am sometimes kind of a whore for labels. I will pretty much only buy something if it's on sale, with very few exceptions. For example, I firmly believe that Chanel makes the best makeup in the world and anytime I'm anywhere with a Nordstrom, the Chanel counter is the first place I stop.


But anyway. I'm going on vacation Thursday and wanted some dresses to wear out at night. My best friend is one of the best-dressed people I know, and we wear the same size everything. Instead of spending however many dollars on three new dresses, I just borrowed four of hers. Of course, once I get back from my trip my wardrobe will be exactly the same as it was before I left, so I found myself in Target yesterday, looking at jewlery.

I'm really into these rough-looking, interesting necklaces that sort of remind me of chains that mix pearls and jewels into them and manage to still look elegant like this one from Ann Taylor Loft. Unfortunately, they're usually around $40. I found mine at Target for half that, complete with a couple strings of faux pearls, chains, and a ribbon, and it looks so nice. I know it will transform a number of older, solid color shirts and dresses I have and keep me from spending my Hollins tuition on a new summer wardrobe.

I also got this awesome braided golden chain for like, fourteen bucks, and I found these huge earrings in a clearance bucket for $3. As you can see, I'm pretty happy with my purchases.


You don't have to change your lifestyle if you can find the things you love for good prices. Target is always a good choice, so you can have your cake and wear it, too. Or something.

I'm glad I didn't have to use vacation money that I could be spending on drinks and dinners on unnecessary fashion purchases. See ya in a week--Vegas, here I come!

<3 Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment