Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Capris, or not capris?

Posted by Jenni

This question never bothered me until I read the latest issue of Real Simple magazine; apparently, capris or capri pants are one of the hot items this spring. Real Simple is neck-and-neck with Glamour for my favorite magazine, and about 95% of the time, I agree with their judgment. But now I'm not so sure.

Capris for me have always looked best on women who are naturally petite. I'm 5'7" and curvy to start, but I also have a long torso and disproportionately skinny calves for my frame. Therefore, anything that stops abruptly interrupts the lines of my clothes, and I feel awkward and uncomfortable. So I was pretty reluctant to take Real Simple's advice this time, until they styled their models with the "high and low" aesthetic.


realsimple.com

In the above photo, they've chosen some skinny capris with a T-strap flat (or kitten heel), an embroidered wrap, and a loose white blouse. The contradiction of the shapes creates visual interest, and the mixture of the fancier tops with a short, casual pant is fun.
Everyone at the Look loves the high-low style because it forces us to be creative and shakes up the way we look at our wardrobes. I like to wear loose V-neck tees with skinny jeans, beat up sneakers, and this amazing Betsey Johnson necklace.



If you want to try out the capris trend, Marshalls and TJ Maxx have options in a variety of sizes at fair prices, and my personal shoe pick for these tricky trousers? Wedge sandals. They'll give your legs length and height, they're actually comfortable, and our fashion Tarot cards predict hotness. Bon voyage!

XOXO, Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment